Sunday, February 5, 2012

Syncline Hike


I snapped this photo with my phone while Little Jonah, Daisy, and I were out hiking this morning.  It's pretty common for us to go for a hike while my husband gets a mountain bike ride in.  Today we were hiking at the Syncline which is just a 3 minute drive from our house.  

Photo by Blaine Franger
This photo was taken in spring by Blaine and it captures the unique terrain of the "Syncline."  While all the locals call it the Syncline, it is technically an anticline.....but the name's already stuck.


There's a nice network of trails and, among locals, it is a favorite place to ride.  I'm more partial to the area in the spring and fall, but in the winter you don't have to contend with ticks and poison oak.


Last autumn my husband helped build a new bike trail with CAMBA (Columbia Area Mountain Bike Advocates).  It was a much needed route---creating an alternate trail on Forest Service land and relieving tensions between riders and private property owners.  


I know the terrain looks pretty benign from this vantage point, but being that there was no road, his vehicle was the only one that was capable of schlepping gear to the trail building site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...