Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spring Onions


We pulled this harvest of Spring Onions from the garden last week, right before tilling the soil under.  If you (like I have) ever wondered what the difference between scallions, green onions, and spring onions are....here's the progression:
Scallions are the smallest (green part and white part are equal in diameter)
Green Onions come next with more white stalk and a slight bulge at the roots
Spring Onions are last, showing more of a bulb of baby onion at the base


These were actually accidental Spring Onions.....they got planted late in 2011 and never rooted properly.....but after a mild and wet winter they took off again and have been delicious.  I think I may try this again in the fall, on purpose this time.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh these onions look wonderful! I am glad to know the difference between the three kinds. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...