Monday, September 10, 2012

Farmer Jonah


A good farmer isn't afraid to jump right in, get a little dirty, experiment, and, of course, sample the fruits (and veggies) of their labor.  


Jonah and I were thinning the carrots when I paused to see what was keeping him so quiet.  I realized that he had helped himself to a mature carrot and was eating the root, dirt and all!  
I'm so proud of him. 


He was munching on a hybrid variety from the Territorial Seed Company in Oregon 
called Sugarsnax 54.


Nutritious and sweet.


We also planted a hybrid variety of cream-colored roots called White Satin.


Carrots for everyone!  


I love to see Jonah out in the garden, comfortably walking the rows, and foraging for treats.  Like hiking, gardening keeps me grounded to nature.  I'm very attentive to what's happening outside when I have plants in the ground.  Checking the sky, listening to forecasts, fretting over birds and bugs, fiddling with irrigation and fertilizers....nurturing little seed specs into tasty food for family and friends.  I think I'm often amazed at what is produced. Jonah's joy and wonder of nature echo my own admiration for plants in the garden.  I love being able to share this life with him.


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...