Last week, via live feed, we watched the breaching of Condit Dam. This released all the water which made Northwestern Lake and ended a century-long barricade of the White Salmon River.
It's a pretty amazing change for this area.
On Sunday we decided to go check out the empty lake bed.
You can see where the water level used to be.
The bank of the river is now about 25ft of unstable black sand---it is beautiful and dark. We watched large chunks of the bank slough off and imagine that the river will continue to erode and dramatically change the landscape through next spring.
It was raining lightly during our walk so Jonah got to try out his cute little yellow slicker.
(Thank you Trina! xo)
View looking back up the "lake" with Dave and Steph. It was cool to see the landscape at this stage--I'm really glad we made the trip out.
One more of the cutie pie.
Hello! Last week I started a blog for my family and decided to call it Little House on the Big River - then I looked and found that there was already one by the same name! I have enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to reading more. www.ourlittlehouseonthebigriver.blogspot.com
ReplyDelete