Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lenten Rose



Spring is beautiful here on our little slice of land.  And with each rain shower and sun break, a new plant comes into glory.  I enjoy strolling the perimeter with Jonah on a daily basis to monitor the astonishingly fast growth of the perennials & shrubs now that chill of winter is behind us.  The photos of the Lenten Rose are just two examples from the collection of Hellebores we have growing.  Often referred to as a Lenten Rose, the nickname is derived because of its blossoms are like wild roses and because its bloom time coincides with Lent.  And being that today is the last day of Lent, I thought it was an appropriate time to celebrate this garden beauty.



Hellebores are unknown to many gardeners despite their toughness, beauty, and wonderful habit of blooming in the winter when most other plants remain dormant.  I was only introduced to them a few years ago and now I have a collection of 6 different varieties.  I like their graceful nodding flowers and that the leaves are essentially evergreen (they stay green all winter and don't die back until the spring growth is there to replace them).  The two in these photos happen to be gifts from my Mother....who knows that I appreciate their early and cheerful presence before all the other plants have yet to wake.  Most Hellebores prefer dry shade, so they are the prefect plant to tuck into the corners of the garden beneath the oak trees.    


I'm really partial to this shot because you can see the mountains and river in the background.

Minnie's Plum Tree is also blooming.  
The ground around her grave is covered with a snow of white petals.  It is beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...